wheelie bar questions

Old 05-11-2007, 04:55 PM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default wheelie bar questions

ok gonna have to put some bars on my new car wheel base from spindle to axle center is right around 92 inchs... 4 link car 10.5 to 12.5 wide tire very light car WHATS would be the right length bar for it or the best length .. also what about the one wheel style with 3 bars coming from the rear end any good pros/cons about different styles???
Old 05-11-2007, 05:01 PM
buffjhsn1
CRAFTSMAN

i would say at least 60", and c.m to take the abuse of a 10.5 wheelstand :shock:
Old 05-11-2007, 05:12 PM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

any preference on style of bar??
Old 05-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Robert1320
JUNIOR BUILDER

Long bar are the best 84 92 102.
CrM unsprug but unbraced between the upper and lower bar.
This will allow the the car to come up on the bars and not unload the tires.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM
BillyShope
CRAFTSMAN

Just want to add that wheelie bars are only necessary if the car is not balanced properly. In other words, if any load is applied to the wheelie bars, it means that the rear wheels are being UNLOADED, which means that there is less thrust available to push the car forward. Your goal is to eliminate the need for wheelie bars by distributing the weight...fore-and-aft...to eliminate the wheelstands. Yes, I know wheelstands look cool and the crowd loves them, but it's not the quick (and consistent) way down the track.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Boy do I get into arguments about this one;

I do still contend that Wheelie Bars should be there for a safety item, not as a suspension tuning crutch.

Just want to add that wheelie bars are only necessary if the car is not balanced properly. In other words, if any load is applied to the wheelie bars, it means that the rear wheels are being UNLOADED, which means that there is less thrust available to push the car forward.
I do like wheelie bars to be on but I hate it when I see cars slamming down hard on them, and I have customers of my own that slam them hard enough to break or mangle them. I don't even have a problem with a car touching down on them but I contend they are used mostly as a crutch to control wheelies routinely when suspension adjustments or weight transfer or ballast or all three would be more beneficial.

Wheelie bars can steer a car wrong too if one side is unloading a tire any.

Ed