Opinions welcome

Old 05-11-2007, 08:33 AM
MidLifeCrisis
APPRENTICE

Default Opinions welcome

Here's my story.

Life's too short. Time to get racing after years of fandom.

Getting licensed at Frank Hawley DR school soon. (Super Comp) Will more than likely be in the market for a dragster shortly after.

1) Buy turn key or roller?

2) Is there a way to get financing for such vehicle?

3) Insurance?

I'm no certified mechanic, but there's nothing I can't learn in a short amount of time. Books are helpful, hands on is better. Actually thought about going to junkyard and buying a old small block (or big) and using it as a learning tool. You guys are the pros here so gleefully chime in on my ignorant situation.

Thanks,

MLC
Old 05-11-2007, 08:54 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

If I was you I would look for the right, turn key super comp for you, and take someone with you , that knows these type of racecars, so you dont get burned, also go to the dragstrips, there are racecars racing that have for sale signs in them, look at how it runs, does it go straight, does it run the same run after run. good luck, now I need to go work on my ride so I can race someday
Old 05-11-2007, 09:25 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

MLC, Super Comp js a tough place to start racing as a beginner, If i were you i would buy a newer 4-link car complete (name brand), not too fast, and start out bracket racing . This way you can learn to race and get very familiar with the car and the tree. If for some reason you decide you dont like it then you will not have a problem selling it. Look around alot before you buy. Don
Old 05-11-2007, 09:39 AM
MidLifeCrisis
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by davis419b
MLC, Super Comp js a tough place to start racing as a beginner, Don
Agreed. I'm not planning on racing SC out of the gate. That's what I'll be licensed for when I do the Hawley school. I plan plenty of bracket racing for sure.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 AM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis
Originally Posted by davis419b
MLC, Super Comp js a tough place to start racing as a beginner, Don
Agreed. I'm not planning on racing SC out of the gate. That's what I'll be licensed for when I do the Hawley school. I plan plenty of bracket racing for sure.
Just get a bracket/Et license they are good to 7.50 et

Check into the cost of the schooling,it may be cheaper to obtain an ET license

That S/C license is only good for 8.90 I believe,but I maybe wrong here to
Old 05-11-2007, 09:57 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

A S/C license should be good for bracket racing anywhere. Most bracket tracks dont even require a license at all. You can get a IHRA bracket license by just making a few passes no physical required.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:28 AM
MidLifeCrisis
APPRENTICE

Hawley School is two-fold. First to see if this is something I REALLY want to do and second, my wife footed the bill as a gift. I've driven before. Used to race my dads '73 Olds 442. If I'm not mistaken, that car weighed about 18,000lbs. (LOL) I'm familiar with tree, etc. Figured I'd like Dragster for simplicity and cost effectiveness. (3 kids that suck money at an alarming rate)

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

If you think 3 kids suck money wait till you start back racing!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

an ex wife some kids then a new wife, then we are having fun
Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

1- I would buy a turn key car and make the seller test it in your presence.
as spib says get with someone who knows their cars and take them with you...i am sorry to say this but an experienced racer can spot a newbie to the sport a mile away..but the difference between an experienced racer and an experienced racer that is shady is that the later will take advantage of your lack of experience and hammer you..it will take the form of selling you something that he claims it is and it will not be..or you may go see a car run but when you go back to pick it up its got a junk pair of heads and a cheaper crank in it or a differnt motor all together...this is common practice amoung the theifs out here and if your not careful you will get your a$$ ripped apart....please, PLEASE be careful here..

2- yes there is some financing available check around..i see some of this advertised on speed vision every now and then.

3- yes there is drag insurance you can purchase. the current approx premimums is $100 per 10k....i have some contact numbers for you when you get this far down the road.

i personally feel if you graduate HAWLEYS driving school you will be ok to drive your rail (dragtser) in the 8.0 range no problem...the experience factor you will suffer in will be in your motor tuneups, chassis sets ups and learning the proper dial in etc...i would say after a year of being put out the 1st round you will also learn this part out for yourself...LOL...

for the record:
ASHLEY FORCE graduated from HAWLEYS driving school..if her dad John Force thought this was a good idea for her then it must be a beneficial thing.

i personally went thru the BUCK BAKER round track driving school at Darlington Motor speedway "LADY IN BLACK"...it was a great help..they "NEXTAL CUP" discovered Ryan Newman in this same school.

you can probably learn some things in a short amount of time such as adjusting valves, timing etc.....but the other things is gonna take you a while...just the facts as i know it...

i can assure you that if you hang around here long enough you will learn a few things...i would suggest that you start with the chasiss /suspension and go to the 4 link set up and print that thread (16 pages)..just read over it and do not try to absorb it cause you WILL NOT..but it will get you familer with the 4 link theory and the lingo used.....get your self a 3 ring binder and start printing off some of these tech tips that you can refer back to when you have a problem..
good luck to you.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -