Looking for my first muscle car...

Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 PM
URjellis
APPRENTICE

Default Looking for my first muscle car...

Can you give me some good advice?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Anything in particular you're looking for brand wise? I've always been partial to Novas. Had dozens of them ranging from 1967 to 1976. If you're looking, this is the place to be, throw ideas around till something turns your crank.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 PM
URjellis
APPRENTICE

Default Actually, i have my eye on a 76 nova

but i am not sure what things make a good car and what i need to look for. the one i was looking at is a concourse and i didnt know that it was real cause it had a hood emblem and trim down the side. But I just googled it and saw that it is a real car. Do you have any, do or donts for me? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:32 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

The nice thing about the 75 up Novas is you can use Camaro front end goodies. In 75 the Nova changed the front subframe to a front steer instead of rear steer like it was. The Concourse was the upscale car for the day. Just watch for rust in the usual areas, especially in the real subframe rails. If you're going to back half it, the floor and rear frame condition it a moot point.

If you have any questions, just ask, someone will point you in the right direction.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
URjellis
APPRENTICE

I am looking to buy and fix, but not too much, as funds are limited. The only rust was a small banana shaped rust spot in the front of each rear wheel well. other than that and the fuel pump, the guy said everything was original. the soft top had a 1-1/2 inch tear at the bottom, but it looked like the paint under it was the same as the car. the 305 engine ran pretty nicely. i just want to make sure i dont get in over my head...
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Sounds like it'll make a nince driver, and maybe a sleeper down the road. Upgrades are out there, and if you can't find what you're after, make something work. That's the nice thing about this hobby: If you're not the lead dog, the view is always the same.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 PM
URjellis
APPRENTICE

thanks, i will have to remember that. and maybe one day i will be able to trade it in for my true dream of the 71 chevelle.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:32 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by URjellis
thanks, i will have to remember that. and maybe one day i will be able to trade it in for my true dream of the 71 chevelle.
Very cool......good to have you here.

I know you will get that dream Chevelle.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM
URjellis
APPRENTICE

your 65 is sweet, that is what i want my car to look like one day. right now i have to find something to get me started, and some one told me the best way is to get some... and start there, dont spend alot and work on it and learn, then sale it and move up, and so on and so on... so that is what i am going to do. trying to find something under 4k without alot of rust that i can take and enjoy for the next few years, then sale it and get something better. how long did it take to get yours like this, or did you buy it that way?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM
fastbowtie
MASTER BUILDER

If you are bugit minded Id look at a 78 & up Malibu
They are fairly inexpensive and you can make them haul A$$ pretty reasonably. They look pretty good Too. :wink:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -