Mufflers for street use

Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 AM
jjam
CRAFTSMAN

Default Mufflers for street use

I have a quite problem, I have a 63 Nova w/540 2-1/4 headers. I'm running the outlaw race mufflers on it now and it is too loud (103dB at 50' on idle). I'm asking what everyone run's on the the street, when needed I can remove the exahust at the track. I got the car running and took it around the block and later that night the cops were on my street looking for me. With the car being so loud it is hard to enjoy, need to get some real mufflers on it so I can drive it. Thanks for any help with this.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

jjam, i seen that cops were looking for you lol. if you lived were i live they would have just pulled into your driveway lol. any of the turbo mufflers will make it quieter then what you have. i have used flow masters 3 chambers for the street and dynomax turbo mufflers on big motors. i think both come in 3 1/2 no bigger. don't use anything that's streight through or you wont be happy. good luck
Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Flowmaster makes a nice 3 chamber, that should quiet it down some. I know a few places make weld on tabs to make removal easy. Do you have room for tailpipes, or just turndowns?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:32 PM
jjam
CRAFTSMAN

well I ordered the Dynomax super turbo, I read where these will help keep the cop's from knocking on my door. If I can keep the pedal off the floor. LOL I'll give these a try, I'll let you know the new dB reading after the new install. Should have them on this weekend.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:32 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

i ran 3 inch single chamber flowmasters on my blazer dumped at the rear.sounded good and cops never bothered me.here is the ones i run
Old 05-07-2007, 06:39 PM
fastbowtie
MASTER BUILDER

I think he would need alittle more with that 540 :lol:
Old 05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
jjam
CRAFTSMAN

another question witht the turn downs or cut offs. Is it better to run them down facing the ground or out to the side with an angle to the ground? I remember old school and the dumps just pounded the ground, kicking up the dirt/dust.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:23 PM
fastbowtie
MASTER BUILDER

Face them into one another and slightly down . Doing this will also quiet things down
Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
henny
JUNIOR BUILDER

Hello
Someone mentioned not to run straight thru mufflers , as in round ones??
I have an old vette(street/strip project) that is set up for side exhaust.....I cannot go under the car with my exhaust system
Am I in big trouble trying to get mufflers? Any reccomendations??
Tom
Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 PM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

henny that was me. the guy was trying to keep his car quieter and all the streight through mufflers are pretty loud. i have no idea about the vette i hope someone can shine some light on it for you. good luck sounds like your going to have a nice ride

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -