how much trouble is it to change sleeves on dart aluminum sb

Old 04-21-2007, 07:04 PM
badbug3
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default how much trouble is it to change sleeves on dart aluminum sb

how much trouble is it to change all eight sleeves on a dart aluminum sbc block and do the bottom of the sleeves come clearanced for the rods and crank .
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

The block needs to be heated to 200 deg and you should be able to get the old sleeves out,same temp to install the new sleeves.you don't want to keep the block temp up there any longer than necessary. after the block cools the sleeves need to be seated due to the different expansion rate between steel and aluminum.install a torque plate with a steel o ring gasket and torque to 70 lbs.at this point you can deck the sleeves down to .003 above the block.
The sleeves will need to be clearanced for the rods if your running a long stroke.Bill
Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Question for you Bill ?..i have a Donovan 5000 seriesAluminum block..its currently a dry sump...does this block have the provisions to go back to a WET sump.?

thanks Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-02-2007, 04:55 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

I cant answer that question for you,haven't used a Donovan block in over 15 years,we use Brodix and Dart either of which can be run wet.Bill
Old 05-04-2007, 04:13 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

By using a wet sump pan and external wet sump oil pump, I would think that any engine that is made should be able to be converted.

Currently I have two dry sump only engines here that I am converting. One is a Busch Grand National Chevy Bow Tie block and the other is a Ford Motorsports BB Aluminum block by Allan Root.

Ed