Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: converter ?

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN

converter ?

I am looking at buying a new converter from a guy that states it is a vega converter that was cut open rebuilt,cleaned up and set for 3700stall and it is a 10inch 350 converter. My question is I can't find any info on a vega converter, company or anything. Is it a chevrolet vega stock converter that was rebuilt and changed or is there and actual company called vega converter?
    Thanks!!

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    if its a stock vega stahl it want take a whole lot of power it will come apart..and if it is a vega convertor you will have to drill your flywheel to get it to bolt up. thats the problems i have run into with them..good for a street vert but not race..JMO

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    thanks, I will pass on it..

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    if oldani would come in he could tell ya for sure he is the tranny guru

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    Nice bike!!! I use to have an 01 gixxer 1000, damn do I miss it....

Junior Member APPRENTICE

vega convertor

Know body can tell you what a convertor stalls at unless the know what torque your motor puts out. buy a convertor from a manufacture who will set it up for your application a 5000 stall in my car might stall 3500 in yours

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    As a very general rule of thumb, each 50 hp move will change stall speed roughly 200 rpm. I'd advise you to use a decent converter. At least one with furnace-brazed fins and possibly anti-balooning plates. It's easier to spend your dollars once than twice!
    http://www.oldanimotorsports.20megsfree.com Oldani Motorsports
    TCI, BTE, JW, ATD/Hipster, Jesel, Impact, Stef's/B&B, Nitroplate, Comp Cams/Powerhouse, Jomar, Isky, Crane, Crower, AFR, Jager, etc.....

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    Have to agree with OLDani, Im afraid. One thing I have learned over the years is to never buy a used converter unless you know the guy real well and the car it came out of.
    Nothing will pi** you off more than buying a "good used converter", going through all the work to install it, driving 2 hours to the track, and finding out the converter is junk....
    Buy one from a known manufacturer. Call several and ask them for their recomendation for your vehicle.
    Ed

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    call Greg Slack.

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

need a number for greg slack

Quote Originally Posted by chris301y
    call Greg Slack.

11. Racing Junk