Base coat clear

Old 03-08-2006, 06:55 AM
cps57
SHOW GUEST

Default Base coat clear

Guys I had a car painted with ppg base coat and clear, all areas that were buffed have less shine than areas that were not buffed, example inside trunk inside hood, door jambs. What could have caused this and what is the fix.
Please help !!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

Depending on the type of clear used, PPG makes 4 or more, I would say the most comon reason for this is not letting clear cure long enough before rubbing. Some unbaked clears take up to 1 to 3 months to let all the solvents excape, depending on air flow and temps. Sure they are dry to the touch but still a little softer than they will end up. Make sure there is no wax in the new paint , give it a month in a ventalated area and try to rebuff. For the most part PPG clears are user friendly, so if it was mixed properly it can be fixed with out repaint. Start with 1500 wet sand if there are bigger imperfections (NO FINGER SANDING) Use rubber block or at least palm of your hand. With 1/8th inch tape, tape all sharp body lines and pannel edges so you don't sand or buff threw. I prefer 3M perfect it II rubbing compound Keep wheel clean buy useing a spur ( an open end wrench that needs a shine will work) If it gets too cloged wash it and let it dry. buff in patches of not more than 3 square feet 2 is better. Keep buffer flat useing at least 1/3 of the flat pad. After it's buffed use polising compound in the same way. Useing a polishing wheel, usualy a soft dark foam type 3M makes a good one also. if you have a DA sander 3M makes an applicator for polish and wax that works good, Use clean soft rags to wipe with and if paint is shinny enough for you and over 3 months old wax it. Remove tape at the very end of compound buff, This is for not buffing threw edges, that is easy to do. go lightly on any edge. even hand rubbing is ok. If your real picky 3M makes a microfinishing glaze also, use before wax. This done properly will give you show car finish. Practice on wifes grocrey getter she'll love ya for it. This is how you get smooth glass finish.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 PM
cps57
SHOW GUEST

Thanks a bunch !!!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 11:51 AM
imconehead
SHOW GUEST

Default paint

i agree with bubstr buffed to soon was it baked or air dry :? :?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:23 PM
GBoven72
JOURNEYMAN

Too late on this one, but it was most likey not polished enough. If you go over a panel with extra cut compound it will have a dull look to it. Try going over it will a good glaze and a foam pad.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

If you have limited space to work with, you may have to use 2000-2500 grt color sand paper and do the final polishing by hand.
I have done it several times and it is alot of work. Be carefull on raised edges and you shouldhave no problem.