View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Breaking motors

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
It sucks when you lunch one. That's the one thing about this I fear. Unless you have alot of spare money, parts or, best case, complete motors. A catostropic failure can set you back for a goodly amount of time.

Just hope you can salvage some of the parts. Just from your description, sounds like a lack of oiling. Did the lifter sieze in it's bore? When pushrods bend and/or break, they can do some nasty things. That's another thought, was the pushrod itself oiling, or might it have clogged.

If the motor had alot of use as you alluded to. It might have just been a parts time to fail.
everything you mentioned could have been the culprit..at this point i am not 100% sure..the signs are pointing toward a seized lifter simpley for the fact i cannot pull the set out..also the slight bend in the rod itself tells me there was unusal amount of resisitance on that rod..the knurling of the cam lobe had to come for the sharpnel from the push rod end.

u are right this is something all racers face each time they go out...i take care of my stuff,more than called for oil changes,frequent valve adjustments,,new springs each season...and i still got stuck with this deal

i spoke with PAR begining of this year and i know worse case he can use my heads with a complete new 565 botttom end for around 6k...if i can use my crank and i want to ( callies stealth) my oil pan,gear drive,head studs, balancer...it should knock 2k off.....

what i know i am gonna use or need. is a new Block ( Big "m') even if the old one could be line bored and saved..its a .125 over stock block..its gotta be tired...new cam,lifters,Rods,Pistons,bearings..

i hate i lost the 511 today cause it really ran like a "bat out of hell" for what it was....on motor in a car close to 3100lbs it ran mid 5.90's on the back bumper...had 70's in it all day long...you expect to hear these stock blocks coming apart at .125 over...but this one was good....with a 200 shot i am sure the thing would have run some 5.40's ....

gonna take off heads tommorrow,then yanks it all the way out the next day..i need the few days to think out my best route

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "