Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Help (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   i swear im bout to just give up (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25600)

bowhay 09-06-2009 01:32 PM

i swear im bout to just give up

this just sux
ive built quite a few motors but the only ones that always f**k up are mine.......i dont even get it

just finished my 383 had copper head gaskets on it, so i siliconed the water jackets, and i was not stingy with the silicone cus i didnt want no leeks. but guess what.......got water in the oil and water leakin from the pasenger side head gasket. i dont even know if its worth it nemore

but my question to yall is.......do i need to buy new gaskets or can i reuse the copper ones, ive never used them before so i dont know,
and if i can is there some kind of trick to siliconing these things, cus i have no clue what i may have done wrong

TS1955 09-06-2009 01:37 PM

Just clean them up, and I would spray them with copper coat and put them back on.

TS1955

bowhay 09-06-2009 01:42 PM

if i use that copper coat will i still need to silicone them?

bowhay 09-06-2009 01:48 PM

and are u not supposed to just use black high temp rtv
cus i was just told that there is a specific kind

TheYellaBrick 09-06-2009 02:08 PM

Too MUCH Silly Cone might be your leakage prob.
ANYtime you use silicone, use it VERY sparingly. Too much and it just squeezes out into water/oil jackets/passages, as well as prevent proper compression/sealing of the gasket.

Tod74 09-06-2009 02:22 PM

Why are you bothering with copper head gaskets on a low compression street truck for? :? I have ran fel pro 1017-1 with 14 to 1 compression.
Just use regular FEL PRO GASKETS and make your life much easier. jmo

kwkracing 09-06-2009 02:38 PM

Unless ur running a big blower or turbo you dont need a copper head gasket. Clean all the silicon out of your motor and put some fel pro on and be done.

I use the redish orange rtv on my coppers and dont have a problem and re used the gaskets many many times with no problems.

Are you using head bolts or studs?

FullTimeRacing 09-06-2009 03:48 PM

Re: i swear im bout to just give up

[quote="bowhay"]this just sux
ive built quite a few motors but the only ones that always f**k up are mine.......i dont even get it

this is yo problem :arrow: and i was not stingy with the silicone cus i didnt want no leeks.

be stingy

bowhay 09-06-2009 11:09 PM

i used copper cus i needed a thick gasket
and i didnt glob the rtv on there. i just meant that i made sure to put a good bead around the water jackets,
but i still need to know, will that copper coat stuff take the place of the rtv silicone?

oldandtired 09-07-2009 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by bowhay
i used copper cus i needed a thick gasket
and i didnt glob the rtv on there. i just meant that i made sure to put a good bead around the water jackets,
but i still need to know, will that copper coat stuff take the place of the rtv silicone?

Do you need a thick gasket to lower compression or to help with intake position?

A 4.200 x .046 ROL gasket is 10.2cc
A 4.200 x .051 FelPro is 11.2cc

Dave