Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   building a glide whats all modified? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25733)

sprayed347 09-17-2009 12:15 PM

building a glide whats all modified?

I have decided to build a glide for my 3200lb fox body.nitrous application,approx 700 hp on the bottle.I have a good usable glide core that was a working everyday trans.what do I need to do to it so it will live.This will be my first GM trans build,Iam a chrysler tech so iam no stranger to trans rebuilds lol.I figure if I can build a 5 speed auto I should be able to do a 2 speed... whats the differnce in a pro tree brake and a regular brake in these trans? release speed? It is a 1.76 trans also.

kwkracing 09-17-2009 07:59 PM

You need a good valve body, hardened input shaft, high gear hub and a rebuilt and you will be set. If i remember right you can machine down the high gear drum piston and get 6 clutched in there no problem!

zipper06 09-17-2009 09:15 PM

You can identify the difference between a 1.82 and a 1.76 by the length of the input shaft Example: the 1.82 with have a 12 5/8" shaft and the 1.76 will have a 12 7/8" input shaft. You can buy a complete build kit from PTC converters. The differece between a pro-brake and regular brake is the pro-brake will leave on a 4 ths. tree, where as the regular brake has a slower release.
Hope this helps.

Zip.

sp2816 09-18-2009 05:53 AM

Pro tree brake

There are other differences. On the pro-brake, you must always activate the transbrake button to activate reverse and there is usually an extra hole drilled in the case in the reverse piston area for the fluid to exit quicker.

sommersracing 09-18-2009 08:46 AM

Hello If your using the stock case I would cut the bell and use a J.W Bell. The 1.76 will work, might want to upgrade to 1.80 if its in the budget. The pump is one area that needs some work, you can modify your pump our buy one that is done. Install 6 to 8 High gear clutches, You can machine the piston down for clearance. Kevlar band, Dual ring servo, Steel clutch hub, 4340 input shaft , Trans brake, seal kit and Deep aluminum pan. If you want I can put a kit price together for you. If you are going to mod your own pump I can help you through that and any other machine work questions. Matt

3758 09-22-2009 01:24 PM

glide

everything they said is right on. A pro brake isn,t needed unless you run on .400 tree for brackets a standard brake is better for consistancy buy the book How to build a powerglide it is good and you can do it easly. you don't need 8 clutches in the high drum there special cluches an steels cost to much for a 700 hp car. your only problem is the car weight. A stock 176 gear set is fine in a lite car. If you every take off an chatter the tires I'll almost guarantee the next pass the gear set will break

sprayed347 10-05-2009 01:17 PM

who makes a good valve body with a regular brake?

sommersracing 10-08-2009 10:54 AM

We use TSI and BTE and never had a problem. I like the solenoid better from TSI. Matt