Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis and Suspension (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   drop spindles (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33508)

reborn55 05-30-2013 05:47 PM

drop spindles

Have a quick question. Wife's coupe(76 Nova front steer clip) needs some spindles. haven't found any good used ones locally--friend of a friend has a set o new McGaughy 2 inch drop spindles I can get ---question is will they work. I have 15x6 wheels with 4 inch backspacing and 205-70 tires. The only thing that I can see having a problem is the backing plate hitting the lower control arm. I talked to the tech guru at Mc Gaughy's and he said that with the 6 inch wheel and 4 inch backspacing it is going to hit the caliper. Maybe I am getting old and do not comprehend any more but I don't understand(maybe stubborn also) why it would hit the caliper. It doesn't hit now and I cannot figure out why it would with that setup. Enlighten me if possible---will this setup work or not. He says I would have to use a wheel spacer for it to work--don't have one now. thanks for help in advance

TheYellaBrick 05-30-2013 06:25 PM

I don't see what the diff would be.

Grab one of those dropped spindles, blow apart one side of your front suspension, leave the coil spring out, install dropped spindle, brakes, wheel/tire and run it all through the whole available suspension travel. Might be time well spent.

wmeabates 05-31-2013 03:57 AM

4 inch back spacing might hit the lower ball joint.See how much room you have now.You should be able to leave the spring in place to do that swap if your not changing them.Bill.

reborn55 05-31-2013 04:51 AM

Already have spindles old spindles off, no big deal..put one back on last night trying to get some measurement. Can see where it might hit. don't see how caliper will hit though. Tech guru was not too good. could not explain a whole lot to me--other guy at McGaughy said no problem..Think I will try to find some good used stock ones. no guessing there. Maybe I will get 55 back on the road waiting for parts. Nothing hitting now Thanks

DRTRCR22 05-31-2013 08:09 AM

Have you thought about hybrid spindles and rotors...?
Brian Snyder has some nice prices on nice parts...
http://www.bryke.com/front_end_components.html

click on the first one... the complete kit, and read carefully... for 5 on 5, or 5 on 4.75 lug pattern, uses metric calipers... and the caliper mounting brackets are included.
This is the latest greatest setup in dirt modified racing for small size, lightness and durablity, yet quite effective on street hot rodders and drag racing which will not see near the pounding abuse dirt mods see... and the price is pretty darn good for a complete bolt on package...?
The only modification you might have is the studs... as these come with 5/8" racing studs. You should be able to use your existing studs if the rotor shank is the same size, or should be able to find new studs with large shank and smaller thread shaft that match your existing nuts...?
Jim

TheYellaBrick 05-31-2013 06:47 PM

Will those bolt up to a GM suspension ? Doesn't say...Looks like a great bunch of parts for a very reasonable price !

DRTRCR22 05-31-2013 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheYellaBrick
Will those bolt up to a GM suspension ? Doesn't say...Looks like a great bunch of parts for a very reasonable price !

Yes, they are designed to be used with GM ball joints in the Chevelle, Nova or Impala lowers, but the mod guys run aftermarket tubular uppers with screw in ball joints, such as shown on the same page.

You could call Bryan and ask him for advise or confirmation. I have called him before and he was really helpful. You might tell him which ball joints you have and he should be able to confirm the taper on all the holes is correct...?
jim

oldandtired 06-01-2013 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by TheYellaBrick
I don't see what the diff would be.

Grab one of those dropped spindles, blow apart one side of your front suspension, leave the coil spring out, install dropped spindle, brakes, wheel/tire and run it all through the whole available suspension travel. Might be time well spent.

X2 My sons 68 Camaro dropped spindles caused the tire to rub the tie rod end during hard cornering. Ruined a new set of tires.

DRTRCR22 06-06-2013 08:07 AM

hey reborn...
check out this RJ Ad #2556503
Posted:2013-06-06 09:19:11
jim