Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   871 Blower Motor Questions! (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27007)

Camaro1972bbc 01-15-2010 04:12 PM

871 Blower Motor Questions!

ok all you guys with the blown bbc motors... need an input here.,,, I took off the blower, intake and checked to see what kind of lifters were in there.. they are a solid lifter (which was good to know!) but NOT too sure on the kind of Cam it has in it, OR if it can even be used for this application. I found on the end of it, that its a GENERAL KINETICS CAM. # C2M300B So far from what i have found around the internet General Kinetics sold out a long time ago to Lunati, and then Holley bought them out. But there is NO inforamation that i need to find out if i can use this cam or not... So far what i DID find out about the cam is... its for a chevy (C) Big block (2) mechanical (M) and 300 duration. the B i have NO CLUE what this means, besides maybe the series? Any suggestions?? Do you think i can even use it?

And, the blower itself is a DYERS 871 with 2 750 holleys and a Cragar Intake. So far i see the blow off valve on the front casing... but no oil fill glass indicator. And no clue of where to fill it with the gear oil! They all need it from what im reading on internet,.. so where do i fill it at???

The CRANK the guy said was a 427 crank, but im not sure... i really DONT want to tear it down that far to see.. Is there any other way to tell what kind of crank i have in there?

ALSO.... (sorry guys lol) The cragar intake has the back pressure valves on the front of it, but they seem to be way too loose on there. Is there a special tork i need to apply to them?

promod45 01-15-2010 06:05 PM

blower

i cant help on cam but on crank i cant think of any way to tell whos crank it is without taking the pan off and that still might not help. I use to have a dyers blower and to fill you remove the top bolt on the trangle little cover if it has one and then remove the other bolt on trangle cover that is down alittle and off to the side on the same cover and fill till i runs out that is how they use to do it, as for the spring i had a dyers intake and a bds intake and they both were set at 1 1/2 inches from bottom of spring to top of spring, now i do know that some set spring at a certain hieght to get a certain pressure but not sure anymore what it is, been awhile since i used them but maybe someone will get on and give you better advice on setting them good luck

kwkracing 01-17-2010 10:48 PM

Can you tell us anything us about the combo? heads , compression ratio and such...

So what do you know about the car? is it a streetable?

kwkracing 01-17-2010 10:53 PM

You can fill the blower depinding on what cover you have threw the stock fuel pump block of plate, a snout bolt hole, a pressure relief hole....

You want to add gear oil until it reaches the drive snout bolt hole in the 8 oclock position, pull the bolt and fill till it runs out, put the bolt back in and add a little bit more to be safe.

http://dyersblowers.com/nstallation_instructions.html

Camaro1972bbc 01-19-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by kwkracing
Can you tell us anything us about the combo? heads , compression ratio and such...

So what do you know about the car? is it a streetable?

Heads i will check and see if i can get any numbers off of them to tell me what they are. So far the block and heads have been dipped, and new valves and springs are on them. I noticed a "orangish color" marking on the springs themselves, so im not sure if this has any meaning as to what they are or not yet. The guy that had the motor before me said he thought the block was .10 over (its a 454) and that the compression is 9.5/1 Which from what im gathering from reading on internet is not a good compression size. Im seeing alot of 7.5/1 to 8.5/1 for the application.
The cam as i stated before is mechanical.. still unsure about running that...
The crank is definately steel.... and only using one keyway on it.. but im only gonna run a tops of 7-8 psi, so that should be ok i would assume... the other owner said that it was a 427 crank... but i have no way of telling unless i pull the pan... and i really would like to Not take the motor out of the car unless i have to ya know..

As far as filling the case with the gear oil. .. the only spot im thinking it could go into is a small allens head screw on the front of the cover.. other than that i will look for where you were telling me to.

The car will be streetable when i get done with it.. :)