Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Somebody Settle This for once (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18397)

blaserman 09-17-2007 01:41 PM

Somebody Settle This for once

I'd like to use a Solid Roller cam in my motor.
I am told and Have been told for years you can't drive a solid Roller on the Street.
Whats the Diffrence in a Hydraulic and Solid roller if you Drive it on the street. I know the diffrence in Hydraulic and solid.
I just don't understand why you can't run one on the street. Also I was told they don't oil well.
I am building one of two Motors BBC 636 - 10 - 1 motor. OR a 496
11 -1 Motor.

jbsjunk 09-17-2007 01:48 PM

I don't see why you can't run a solid on the street. The oiling system don't know what it's pumping to. The only thing I can see running a solid is maintenance: always running the valves. Even then, you shouldn't need to do that often anyway.

zipper06 09-17-2007 02:31 PM

As jBSjunk says it's just the maintianance, no different than running a flat tappet. The oiling problems that you speak of donot exist, unless you put oil restrictors in the lifter galleries, which most people do for racing because it keeps oiling down upstairs, where you donot need more than a mist on a full roller motor, that is unless you're running Nascar and you have to keep the valve springs cool and alive for 500 miles.
I'm sure some of the engine builders will come in on this and may have some different opinions.

JMO

Zip.

bjuice 09-17-2007 02:50 PM

Have the best of both worlds and put you a hydraulic Roller in the motor..you can run these cams in a hotter Street motor....i have seen them in mild street blowers up to 500 hp with no problems...little less valve adjusting to do ..

otherwise if you do not mind the extra little work of adjusting valves go with a solid roller for the street..no problems with that...
i feel every person that owns a HOT ROD must know how to at least adjust valves manually...(PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT )..

SO GO TELL WHOMEVER SAYS YOU CANNOT RUN A SOLID ROLLER ON THE STREET THAT YOU HAVE HEARD FROM 3 GUYS WITH A COMBINED RACING EXPERIENCE OF OVER 75 YEARS THAT YOU CAN..

now do not let them back peddle and say its BEST NOT to run one..cause the question was that you couldn't run one...
Brian

blaserman 09-17-2007 04:15 PM

Roller

My thinking was that there would be no diffrence than a solid flat tappet cam other than rollers.

lively 09-17-2007 04:30 PM

I AGREE THAT IF YOU CAN BUILD A MOTOR YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADJUST THE SOLID LIFTERS!!!!THERE ARE ALOT/ I MEAN ALOT WHO CAN'T!!! :? :? :? ----I RAN SOLIDS AND HYDRAULIC LIFTERS ON DIFFERENT ENGINES AND IT IS JUST PREFERENCE----SOMEBODY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT :oops: :oops: :oops:---LIVELY

bjuice 09-17-2007 04:35 PM

Re: Roller

Originally Posted by blaserman
My thinking was that there would be no diffrence than a solid flat tappet cam other than rollers.

which is all the difference in the world.

Tod74 09-17-2007 04:42 PM

One thing to consider though is the aggressive ramps and high spring preasures on most solid rollers. Maybe it is trivial but the way solid rollers open and then close very rapidly along with the spring preasure has to be rough on the valve seats....One night of cruising around is more run time on the engine than many trips to the dragstrip. But I know lots of guys who run them in street cars...just my opinion.

hotrodharley 09-17-2007 06:16 PM

blasermanb'''''''i've ran solid roller cams on the street in my pro/street cars for years and no issues at all.just keep them adjusted is all.only thing i do different now is i run the composit dist gear instead of the brass gear on the dist.no wear with the composit as they are with the brass gear[dist.]

bjuice 09-17-2007 06:19 PM

hotrod is right...the winston cup boys run these gears and have noticed no wear after a 500 mile race at 9500 rpm..good way to go..

Brian