Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   water coming out of head between header and head ??? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24633)

gpracer 06-16-2009 03:51 AM

water coming out of head between header and head ???

please help we have brand new motor and we got it fired up and we have water coming out between header and head on # 4 and 6 cylinder what is causing this we took it apart had everything checked and put back together and same thing happened again ???? what is causing this ty for any help

hammertime 06-16-2009 05:25 AM

Re: water coming out of head between header and head ???

Originally Posted by gpracer
please help we have brand new motor and we got it fired up and we have water coming out between header and head on # 4 and 6 cylinder what is causing this we took it apart had everything checked and put back together and same thing happened again ???? what is causing this ty for any help

Deck on the block not straight, not allowing the gasket to seal ?

THERATTLER 06-16-2009 05:50 AM

If the water is coming out between header and head that means it is coming out the exhaust port (right)??if thats the case you have a cracked head, put a pressure tester on your radiator , remove header , and pump up tester to 20 lbs and look in port , assuming this is a v8 engine that would indicate that # 4& 6 are back to back , probally cracked into water jacket from ex ports ,,,,have they been ported out on the ex side??

curtisreed 06-16-2009 05:53 AM

Re: water coming out of head between header and head ???

Originally Posted by gpracer

Do you mean under the header between the head and block or from the header flange? Not sure I am getting the picture of where exactly it is coming from. Are you using head studs?

Curtis

mopar1968 06-16-2009 06:02 AM

Check header bolt's, could be leaking around thread's, I know ''MOPAR'' engines can do this, put some sealer on threads, some bolt's/stud's goes into water jacket :!: :!: Just a thought :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''

kwkracing 06-16-2009 07:21 AM

your head studs are leaking?

TS1955 06-16-2009 07:50 AM

If the heads have been ported, it's possible they have gotten into a water jacket.

TS1955

TheYellaBrick 06-16-2009 04:27 PM

What make/size is the engine/heads ?

cepx111 06-16-2009 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mopar1968
Check header bolt's, could be leaking around thread's, I know ''MOPAR'' engines can do this, put some sealer on threads, some bolt's/stud's goes into water jacket :!: :!: Just a thought

Hey wasn't that one of Mopars better idea's? J/K 8)

One day we were working on my buddies 68 roadrunner.
We were taking the right side header off to gain acess to the starter and whoops, heres comes gycol all over the garage floor- we were both like WTF? :lol:

gpracer 06-17-2009 12:29 PM

408 chevy and head checked out good pressure tested it the mating surface on block ?? thanks for all ur help