Here it is. I am selling my XJ. I never thought that I would do this, as I planned to build it up over the years. However, things have changed. I am planning to move in the near future and will no longer have storage for it. I still love Jeeps, but you can’t have everything all at the same time. That being said, all of the work that was done, was done to the best of my ability with the intentions of making it last for a long time.
I bought this XJ in January of 2015 from a local dealership as a completely stock vehicle. Soon, after I bought it, I did, or paid to have done, the following:
-oil filter changed
-Autometer oil pressure gauge installed
-Front and Rear differential fluid changed
-Rear pinion seal replaced
-Transfer-case fluid changed
-Front and rear driveshafts replaced with slightly longer ones in order to avoid issues due to the lift (I realize that it is only a 3” lift)
full Rough Country 3” lift kit (completely new leaf springs, not just add-a-leaf)
Installed by CNC Off-Road in Kenosha, WI
-Custom Cat-back snorkel exhaust (I had to replace that portion of the exhaust anyway and decided to go with the snorkel-type in preparation for a snorkel for the intake in the future).
-The muffler is a Walker and makes it sounds pretty good!
-Rear fenders rolled to fit bigger tires
-Rear quarters trimmed up in preparation for bigger tires. After doing this a panel was welded on each side, plugging the hole that was created. There should be no issues with debris getting up into the rear quarters where it is not supposed to.
-The rockers were solid except for some surface rust, which, I ground down, treated, and covered with bedliner. This process was applied to any other surface rust that I came across.
-The sides were sanded, primed, and covered with Herculiner bedliner. This was a rolled-on bedliner, so, there is no overspray. However, the lines are not perfect, as some of the product got under the tape when I taped off my edges. The imperfections are probably minor to most people’s standards, but I am a perfectionist.
-The caps covering the corners of the bumpers have been removed, as I planned to trim the corners, but never got to it.
The body is in very good shape for a midwestern vehicle (it only has 84,xxx miles on it), as the only major rust issue is in the passenger’s floorboard. There is a hole 6 inches long by about 3 inches wide. I did attempt to fill the hole with a foaming caulk for a temporary fix. I searched for quite a while to find a Cherokee as solid as this. Unless you go down south, you will not find a more solid XJ! All of the electronics work i.e. power windows, power locks, cruise control. The transmission shifts well and has overdrive. The vehicle has a Dana 30 front axle and Chrysler 8.25 in the rear (both are completely stock). The transfer case is the NP242.
The problem with the jeep is that the cylinder head is cracked. I debated just replacing the cylinder head, but the radiator also has rust in it (don’t ask me why I looked past the rust when I bought it). I would suggest just replacing the engine if you want it to be reliable. This is the reason that the price is so low, as I am selling it as basically a roller (the current engine will be included). To be honest, I have a solid $10,000 in the jeep and am trying to just recoup some of that. I simply do not have the time to work on this vehicle. It is time for someone else to take up the torch in this project and grow to love it as much as I do. It has taken me a long time to finally decide to let it go, but now is the time. I’m sure that I have missed something, so call with questions.