BOROWSKI RACE ENGINES, INC. has established its position as the leading builder of Dart LS Next engines by being first in line with pre-production orders, working cooperatively with other top vendors to create custom solutions, building a wide range of extreme engines and maintaining inventory of key components. As a result of our effort, experience and investment, we can now offer world-class LS assemblies and engines on SHORT LEAD TIMES. Our standard LS Next displacement is 427 cubic inches. The blocks we inventory are the Gen 1 Dart LS Next iron, aluminum, aluminum with Darton-MID wet-sleeves and the new skirted iron SHP.
The short-block in this ad features:
- Dart LS Next iron block
- Callies custom 6 inch Ultra rods and Dragonslayer crank (see video)
- Diamond custom pistons
This piece is intended as a platform for builds well in excess of 1,000 horsepower. Besides achieving the desired level of performance, it is built to survive. In this power range, you can’t cut corners without getting bit. Everything must be verified – design, raw materials, manufacturing processes, quality control procedures. And verify we did with visits to our vendors factories to see for ourselves. Dart and Diamond were camera shy but not Callies. The video shows how Callies hand-finishes and QC checks all their cranks. Amazing stuff! Here is a link to the complete photo/video album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/borowskirace/albums/72157664226134042
Camera shy or not, each company boasts state-of-the-art technology and all these parts are MADE IN USA from top quality American made alloys. Nothing Chinese here.
Dart had done its homework on the LS Next block design. It features:
- Premium cast iron alloy Cast in the USA
- Conventional style 4-bolt steel main caps with 7/16” bolts
- Full main webbing for maximum bottom end strength
- Cylinder barrels are extended by .3750” at the bottom
- Extra thick Siamese cylinder bores
- A 5/8” thick full deck design with a 9.240” deck height
- Six head bolts per cylinder
- Head bolts are upgraded to 7/16” for increased strength
- Blind head bolt holes don’t go through into the water jacket
- Provision for oil restrictors in the lifter valley
- Revised low restriction priority main oiling system
- Pro-Stock / Pro-Mod big block style stepped main oil galley
The rotating assembly we developed with Callies and Diamond puts maximum strength at the weakest point, the piston. The shorter rod length we use leaves room for a longer piston. The longer sleeves in the Dart LS Next block provide support throughout the stroke. These custom pistons carry a BOR part number and feature:
- Thick crown with softened edges to prevent detonation
- Better ring spacing to prevent the ring lands from collapsing under boost (about 30% wider spacing than shelf pistons)
- Lateral bracing for better side support
- 0.205” wall wrist pin
- Double wrist pin oilers and banana groove
- CNC lightening on the underside
With the race-proven Callies Dragonslayer crank and Ultra H-Beam rods, we didn’t need to worry there. Callies uses extremely clean Timken alloy formulated to their specifications. The rod fasteners use 260,000 psi tensile strength steel. If you checked out the photo album and video, you’ve probably got a real good feeling that Callies is at the top of their game.
We still need to finish machine and assemble all these great components. Our 4-axis CNC mill boasts precision of 0.0002” and 0.001 degree allowing us to achieve virtual perfection. Our computer balancer is comparably amazing in its resolution. Where we remain old-school is with our hones. We prefer stones over the modern diamond cutters, as we feel the finish is superior for seating rings. The people who are machining or assembling your block are skilled professionals with years of experience. No “Hecho en Mexico” by $2/hr laborers like a lot of the crate engines on the market now.
Available Options and Upgrades
- Block: LS Next aluminum block with Darton-MID wet-sleeves or a full billet aluminum block
- Crank: Callies Magnum or billet
- Rods: Dyers billet
- Pistons: hard anodizing, Moly coated skirts, ceramic crown for heat shielding
- Piston oilers
- Custom wet sump oil pan
- Daley Engineering dry sump with billet pan
Whatever your needs in the world of LS engines, please call us at 815-725-2727. We’ll be pleased to help you select the best possible piece to meet your performance requirements and budget. And don’t forget about the short lead times.